maandag 9 februari 2009

Santa Barbara - Joshua three - San Diego

Hello everybody,

Total cycling distance : 14 800 km or 9240 miles

Wel, on saturday, november 19th, I left Santa Barbara but the nigth before Tim and me went to a live performance and had some beers. That was nice.

I cycled along the coast on the famous HW1. The coast is very beautiful but also very busy. At one point I was cycling on the shoulder of a HW with 6 lanes (2 x 3).  It takes the fun away for cycling.

After Ventura I went inland to avoid LA and to visit Joshua Three NP.  First I cycled to a lot of orchards and than I went uphill in to the high desert. I an town I had my 6th flat of the journey.  A small metal needle penetrated my tire. With all the glass, metal, rocks, .... on the shoulder I am not doing to bad I think. Also my tyre was old and that did not help.

On tuesday, november 22th, I saw something special although I did not realize it immediately. It was a lake that was almost dried up. Not more than a big mud pool. The next day somebody told me it was the remains of an old glacier lake. The special thing is : there are still shrimps in it. They are capable of surviving the long dry periods. At least their eggs are. They just become dormant till there is enough rain and than they awake. The people notice this when all of the sudden seabirds appear and start eating them. Those birds come from 1000 miles away but still they know this.  The eggs can also be carried from 1 pool to another by animals or when a pool dries out completely by the wind.

Joshua Three is named after the special three that grows there. The first settlers were mormons and they used to think that the three looked like saint Joshua who led his people in the promised land with his hands held high. 

I spend a night with George, a member from couchsurfing. He is building a new home for him while he stays in his old one. I could sleep in the new house. I normally consider having a bedroom of my own as a very big luxury these days.  A house of my own beats everything of course.
I did a backcountry hike  and I cycled to the end of the trail where George picked my up and than gave me a ride to the start. I liked  the desert very much with the open space and so. The rock formation are incredible and with the full moon the Joshua trees looked spectacular. 
The trail was named Boy Scout trail and for me it almost became Lost boy scout trail. The trail was wide enough so following was no problem but some how I ended up following a mountain goat trail. There are a lot of them here and the trail was wide at the start. After a while I could not follow it and realised I was wrong. Luckily I found the right trail very fast. Lost in the desert was not a very good foresight.

Joshua Three NP is at the border region of 2 deserts. one is the Mojave desert which is at a higher altitude (4000 to 6000 ft)  and because of that not so dry or hot as the Colorado desert. 
The joshua three only grows in the Mojave desert and it is very interesting to see the changes in the landscape and plants while I am hiking. The colorado desert is a part of the Sonora desert which goes all the way to Baja California. I will be cycling in this desert again.
Because of the altitude the nights are cold.

After this I return to the village of Joshua Three because I have to resupply. There is no water what so ever in the park. In the village I have my first earthquake. 4 at the scale. I hardly felt it and it was over before I could think of an earthquake.

On saturday, I cycle again in the park and enjoy. All the campgrounds are crowded and I decided to spend the night on a picnic area although this is not aloud. A parkranger finds me and I tell that I had a flat tyre and did not want to cycle in the dark. She believes me but makes me go the a campground. She accompanies me with her lamps on. It gives a surreal feeling to it.
Sunday, i cycle through the park and hike to an oasis where I spend the night. It is just great. Camping under palm trees all alone in the desert. There are no clouds and the night sky with the stars are great.  

Before I get there I see a motorcyclist fall. He slides for 50 yards. He has some cuts and brews but seems to be allright. I take care of his wounds. There is no cell phone coverage here. The most of his group did not see him fall and rode on. Another tourist warns them and the rangers. It takes 35 minutes for the first ranger to arrive and 1 hour before an ambulance comes. Than there are 8 cars. 3 rangers, 1 firetruck, 1 paramedic unit, 3 police cars and 1 ambulance. It looks to me that every person knows what to do but there are to many people. This is some kind of over kill. In Belgium there would be not even half of the people. This is not very effective.

Because of this I am late and hike a bit in the dark to the oasis which is fantastic.

From Joshua Three I cycle to the Borego desert park. To be on time I have to cycle the Banner grade (4220ft) in the dark. In full moon and with some christmas decoration I enjoy it again. 
The park is very beautiful but I do not have the time to hike there. George, a member of warmshowers, is expecting me. 

I arrive in San Diego where I took the plane to Hawaii but I will tell all about this in my next mail.

greetings,

nico

Geen opmerkingen: